This is what I believe:
Exploring gardens through stories allows us to engage with them on a deep level. And when we do this with public spaces, I know we open up a new space within ourselves too. We have somewhere different to go – in real life but in our heads too – that will always be there for us to escape to.
But gardens are more than just a brief moment of respite from a busy world. By virtue of being cultivated and designed by people who know they will never see the garden at its truest best, gardens become containers for dreams. And every time we visit, we can share this optimism, pragmatism and a life-affirming belief in beauty.
Plus the stories are good!
I would be happy to talk to about working with you on commission for private and public spaces. There are some photograph above of my work, and this could include:
– Themed events for public spaces, such as city parks, nature reserves or urban spaces.
– Issue based work around human relationships with the land and community.
– A specially written poem or story about your garden for a gift or commemoration.
– A unique poetic ‘intervention’ for an event or visitor attraction.
– An entertaining poetry reading for a dinner or event.
To be honest, it’s important to say that I’m not really ‘for sale’ though – I will only ever take on something that inspires me and I believe in. I think this works better for me – and for you too!
The Writer in the Garden
An evening of garden poems, favourite published writings, music and photographs – as performed during in the Cathedral Lodge during the Canterbury Festival to enthusiastic response:
– “I could have listened to another hour of that”
– “I have always been meaning to visit that garden and I definitely will now.”
– “I didn’t even know this garden existed.”
– “Sorry I cried.”
– “Sorry I whooped.”
Do contact me – sarahsalway @ gmail.com – if you would like to find out more.
Workshops and Tours:
I am a very experienced workshop facilitator and creative mentor, and would be happy to talk about running a garden-themed writing workshop for you. Let’s talk more!
And if you fancy something completely different, why not contact me about arranging a private bespoke garden tour. We can visit my favourite gardens together – or in a small group – and I’ll provide some beautiful literary ‘companions’ to let us see the land and gardens in a completely new way.
All prices on request.